Questions? Contact us at 250-352-6200 x 330 or firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT IS WEST K TECH?
- A one-year pilot program that supports West Kootenay employers with employee recruitment and training for technology-related positions.
- Offers employers wage subsidies and position-specific training for new hires or to permanent technology-related positions.
- Offers job candidates individualized action plans with training supports to develop skills and experience leading to sustainable employment.
- Contributes to building a skilled local workforce and employer capacity for technology-related work.
WHO CAN APPLY?
- West Kootenay technology, tourism and manufacturing sector businesses/organizations.
- Demonstrate organizational and fiscal need for supports to hire employees for technology-related positions.
- Positions hired for must be permanent and sustainable.
WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT?
Program staff will work with eligible employers to:
- Three-month wage subsidy of up to 50% of the new hire’s salary (to a maximum of $10.85/hour for a maximum of 40 hours/week).
- Up to $4000 in training supports for the new hire.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS?
Funding will be considered for positions that:
- are in the technology, tourism or manufacturing sectors;
- are technology-related;
- will lead to permanent and sustainable employment by the end of the program;
- provide a salary that reflects the market wage rate for the position;
- will not result in the displacement of a current employee; and
- are based in the West Kootenay region (Nelson, Castlegar, Trail, Salmo, Slocan or Kaslo)
To be eligible for the West K TECH program, the employer must:
- demonstrate how the position being hired for will help the organization to build capacity and achieve its business goals;
- demonstrate a fiscal need for wage subsidy and training supports;
- be committed to providing the candidate permanent and sustainable employment after the program;
- outline the position’s key responsibilities and qualifications;
- work with program staff to develop a position-specific training plan;
- be able to hire the candidate within one month of approval;
- not be receiving funding for the position from another federal or provincial program;
- have been in existence for more than one year;
- have a WorkSafeBC account in good standing;
- adhere to labour laws; and
- be located and based in the West Kootenay region (Nelson, Castlegar, Trail, Salmo, Slocan or Kaslo)
The job candidate must:
- be residing in the West Kootenay region when the position commences (Nelson, Castlegar, Trail, Salmo, Slocan or Kaslo);
- be unemployed, underemployed (less than 30 hours per week), employed and low-skilled, or employed in a low-skilled occupation;
- be legally able to work in Canada
Employers will be required to set the candidate’s wages to reflect the market wage rate for the position. Find wage rates under Explore Careers by Wages at: http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/